Thursday, September 19, 2019

7A – Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

1)
Some college students cannot do anything themselves. They were not raised to take care of themselves and they will continue to need assistance while in college, like grocery shopping, general shopping, and other things parents used to do for them.

write up: I saw this problem with some of the new freshman from my hometown. They were asking me what medicine to get from the store or what books to buy for a class, when these things are easily researchable or explicitly said in a syllabus.
 2)
WHO: college students
WHAT: they need people to do things for them
WHY: They were not raised to be independent

write up: this is just my part one but broken down, so same thing that I said above.
 3)
WHO test: in reality it is mostly college students, however there are other people who cannot do everything for themselves such as old people and busy adults.
WHAT test: All the people affected have the same what, they need people to do basic or even complex things for them.
WHY test: The why is interchangeable. There could be people who were raised independent but still need others to help them out time to time. Or the example of elderly people, who physically cannot get things done as efficiently or at all. The why essentially is for people that cannot do things for themselves whether it be how they were raised, to actually physical ability.

Write up: This made me ponder more about my idea. There is a lot more problems within my opportunity than I originally thought. It is also hard to put into words every single possible situation for the what.

Interviews: My friends’ roommate
I talked with my best friends’ roommate. She was obviously a college student and I gauged her on some basic needs. She actually gave me an example of a situation she was in. She had a handy man to come over and hang a picture. So clearly, she was someone who need things done because they were not raised to do simple things. She proved my hypothesis and enforced my opportunity.

My dad
I talked to him about when he was a college student and he told me that he did many things himself. My grandfather was an electrician and single father who taught my dad how to figure life and different situations. When he got thrown into the college life as first-generation student, he was overwhelmed but his life skills definitely destroyed my opportunity and hypothesis.

ROTC friend
My friend was actually a weird combination of both. When I asked him about needs like shopping and help with let’s say hanging a picture up, he denied my hypothesis. However, there was another abstract need. He wanted a good barber but said even reviews online didn't help him. My Idea in 8A will delve deeper into my business idea, however, even though my hypothesis was initially denied, I actually reinforced my hypothesis in the end.

Mom of a friend from home
This mom is very on top of a friend I have here, and she does everything for him. When I called her and asked her about this problem, she said she has it all the time. She is willingly doing things for him, but she cannot do the physical things all the time. this hypothesis and problem were perfectly reflected on her interview and I see an opportunity.

My friend in class
He is an older student and has been here for a couple years, so it was good to see what he thought. When I was asking him if he had any times during school that he needed basic things done but just didn’t have the knowledge, but he does now. He said one time brought his car to mechanic to get his washer fluid put in. I was baffled, this is the perfect person for my problem, he said that he had to go there and pay for the fluid change. Instead of going to the repair shop he could have easily used my entrepreneurship idea you will see in 8A. He provided another example of a reinforced hypothesis. 

Overall my problem has developed, and I think my hypothesis was positive and there is 100% an opportunity.




4 comments:

  1. Hi Jonny,

    You hit the hammer on the head! What a great opportunity. I am intrigued on how you are wanting to go about solving it. I am a military Marine Brat and my kids are Army brats. I feel that being raised in a military lifestyle, forces children to become more independent. For example, my daughter is going to Medical School in the Caribbean. She just turned 21 last week. I don’t believe the average 21-year-old would be independent enough to spread their wings and fly to an unknown country with no family around if they didn’t have that independent backbone while being raised.

    I love your idea! Very creative and straight to the point. I look forward to watching it unfold.

    V/r,

    Elizabeth Fullwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to this one. I have two roommates who had their parents do everything for them, so before they left I made sure to tell them to ask their parents how to cook, do laundry and other necessities. I would say your prototypical customer is going to be someone who maybe grew up with a little bit of money, who is going to be able to afford the service or product you are going to create! I really like this idea. I wouldn’t change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jonny.
    As a college student, I must agree with the notion that some college students don’t have enough experience to live independently. Personally, when I first arrived at the University of Florida, I was reluctant to make certain choices based on my inexperience with being on my own. I feel like many students struggle with this and there is a real opportunity to provide some sort of solution for this issue. I also enjoyed the diversity you incorporated in your interviews. From the people you interviewed to the questions, this post was well thought out.

    ReplyDelete