I believe there is an unmet need with cooling people down as they
commute between point A and point B, while being outside in the intense heat of
summer or any other time the temperature is high. There is a need to cool
down people while they are walking outside by using simple quick open canopies
and cool misting fans. The potential customers are anyone that must walk to
class, work, etc. or is outside for more than three minutes. This need is as
old as the earth itself, however, due to climate change it will only get worse.
people meet this need now by staying inside, wearing less clothing, or taking a
vehicle to their destinations. I am 95% sure that this need exists
Interview 1 Sophomore Business
management major: What do you think of the heat around campus? Its
way to hot, and with all this foot traffic it’s hard to getting places before I
start sweating. When do you realize how hot it is, and are you always
hot? It’s the second I walk outside, especially after being inside with
the AC. I mean in Florida it is usually hot, but there are times in like fall
and winter where I actually wear jacket and enjoy
being outside. How long have you been experiencing this type of
heat for? I mean I've lived in Florida my whole life, so
forever. When did you start getting bothered by the heat? When
I was younger, I did not really notice but as I got older playing sports,
especially now that I live on campus, I have to walk everywhere, and it
sucks. How do you currently stay cool while outside? Hats,
sunglasses, tank tops, and I've been drinking a lot of
water because it is so easy to sweat out here. Are you happy
with this solution? I am not completely satisfied but it gets the job
done. How would you feel about canopies and misting fans periodically
around campus? I would like that, but it sounds like it’s too
much money, but I would really appreciate it, because it is
just an easy way to cool off.
Reflection: after interviewing
him, he really liked the idea and even talked with me about the logistics and
how the whole system could be set up.
interview 2 Freshman psychology major: What
do you think of the heat around campus? It’s too hot it makes me sweat,
like in fall and summer its scorching and I want to die. When do you
realize how hot it is, and are you always hot? Its normally only
unbearable after like 10 am but before that I can handle it and do not
notice it too much. How long have you been experiencing this type of
heat for? My whole life because I have always lived in
Florida, but I am still affected by it. When did you start getting
bothered by the heat? ha-ha its funny that you say
that because my mom has always told me I hated being outside as
a baby, but I don't know if it was from the heat. How do you currently
stay cool while outside? My hair is always in a ponytail and I drink
water. Are you happy with this solution? No of course not, I
wish I had an air conditioner follow me around. How would you feel
about canopies and misting fans periodically around campus? Yeah, I
think that would be a good way to cool down, definitely a way to get me to go
study outside more.
Reflection: Getting a girl’s
perspective versus a guys seemed similar yet it seemed that freshman girl was
more bothered by the heat that interview 1.
interview 3 Freshman political
science major: What do you think of the heat around campus? compared
to home, it is the worst heat I have ever experienced. When do you
realize how hot it is, and are you always hot? I usually feel it the second
I step outside and anytime I’m outside and since I have been here, I have been
hot anytime I’m outside. How long have you been experiencing this type
of heat for? only for a few weeks, I am from Canada and even this time
of year it is pretty chilly. When did you start getting bothered by
the heat? I don’t really know, I came here to escape the cold, but it
has been pretty bad so far. How do you currently stay cool while
outside? I’ve been going to the pool a lot and usually wear shorts and
a tank top. Are you happy with this solution? Yeah, I love
going to the pool, its different when I’m out there. How would you
feel about canopies and misting fans periodically around campus? Yeah, I
would like that, but I feel like mist would get annoying if it is always spraying
my face.
Reflection: This student is
from Alaska and was great to see the reaction of someone not from south Florida
summary: My 95% confidence is
still at that level. I think that after talking to these students that the idea
is still solid, but that logistics comment kept that 5% from going to 100%. The
more I have talked about my need; I feel like the idea has matured in my brain.
I think with more planning along with logistical work this could happen. With
cancel culture being prominent I think it’s better to stay firm with a few
degrees of change, Chic fila is a perfect example.
Hi Jonny!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post. I definitely think that your invention would be life changing for most UF students. I have seen similar things at amusement parks, so it would be cool to implement something like that around campus. I like that you interviewed a ride wage of people who have different majors and different genders. Overall, I wouldn’t change anything about your post.
Ainsley Strackbein
Hey Jonny!
ReplyDeleteI thought your post was interesting. I think this would be great for Florida since it is such a hot state. Just walking around outside for a few minutes is enough for someone to get overheated. I am adjusted to the heat since I have lived in Florida my entire life. Even though I am adjusted to it I still get overheated quickly. I can imagine that it must be tough for people who are not adjusted to the heat such as people who came from colder places. It was interesting to see that you interviewed somebody from Alaska and got their perspective about the heat. Great work!